While I’m predominantly working from home right now, that doesn’t mean that I eat better. In fact, I have to admit, I have often either missed meals – mostly lunches – or eaten a really late late lunch. This usually leads to snacking on foods that are, not as healthy as I would like them to be. Sure I’d have a banana or smoothie to fill me up, but there have been occasions where I’ve been known to snack on a bag of chips after my morning run. I know right?! Kind of defeating the purpose of running in the first place!
Thanks to Ash Pollard, the former contestant of My Kitchen Rules, I’ve got some easy to follow tips for those of you working from home or out in the office.
Top Tips for Healthy Eating At Work
- Prepare simple snacks for the week – have them at the ready
- Don’t put pressure on yourself to ‘eat healthy’ – as then it becomes a chore
- If you have a sweet tooth, don’t buy a mars bar, instead bake a cake or some cookies at home and bring them into work
- Drink a lot of water – sometimes when you have hunger cravings that can actually be thirst!
Smart tips there Ash!
Looking at what I used to pack for lunch when I was doing my teaching placements, I think I made choices that were a lot healthier than I do now. Well, there definitely was no bag of chips in sight then!
Here are some of what I used to pack for snacks to give YOU an idea of what you can do to prepare for the week.
Easy Snack Ideas
- Avocado with rice crackers – I used to bring half an avocado and have that with some rice biscuits. Avocados are already delicious on their own but you can add some spices like ground cumin or paprika if you like. I usually have it on its own with the rice crackers.
- Fruit – I am pretty fussy when it comes to food and sometimes it’s a lot easier to bring and eat fruit that are smaller or that do not need to be sliced up. Some examples are smaller sized apples, grapes, bananas, strawberries and mandarins.
- Nuts – Another favourite of mine are nuts, this could be almonds, brazil and even the lusciously decadent macadmia nuts!
- Cubed cheese with crackers – There are a few things that I don’t mind “suffering” for when it comes to dairy (I’m lactose intolerant) and that’s some nice cubed Tasty or Colby cheese served with some crackers. I would dive into a nice brie but I don’t want to have to end up sharing my stash! 😉
- Hummus with vegetables – If you haven’t got time to prepare the vegetables in the morning, simply have some carrots, celery and cucumbers all sliced up during the weekend and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. So all you need to do before heading to work is to pack them in your bag. You can bring store bought hummus or make them yourself. They’re pretty easy to make too!
Those are just a few of what I used to bring during placement, which YOU can easily try too. I guess I have to start getting into these healthy eating habits too, especially now that I’m working from home. Have you got any other suggestions and ideas to add? What do you normally have at work for snack?