Love, Like & Loathe: Fifty Shades of Grey Soundtrack, Film & Judgement

Love, Like & Loathe: Fifty Shades of Grey Soundtrack, Film & Judgement

It’s Friday and that means this week, it’s all about what I Loved, Liked and Loathed this week!  To celebrate the release of the Fifty Shades of Grey film, my list will be all about everything and anything to do with Fifty Shades of Grey.  So if you’re not a fan, I would say, bear with me and see where I’m going with this first ok?  Just give me that benefit of the doubt.

Now first off, I have to confess that I have NEVER read any of the books from the Fifty Shades trilogy.  Not at all.  Not once.  And, I have nothing against the content – I can’t because I haven’t read it.  You can’t be against something you haven’t read, or experienced or even had a look at.  You need to know the content BEFORE you judge something right?  Reasonable enough?  Much like the Twilight franchise, which I had avoided until I saw the first ever Twilight film on television years after it was on the big screen, I avoided reading THAT trilogy too.  Again, nothing against it, just the fact that I didn’t want to be like the masses.  I didn’t want to jump into something just because everyone else was.  And then I saw the trailer for Breaking Dawn Part I and thought, damn, I’m a sucker for romance and needed to see what the fuss was all about.  So I went to see it and found that I NEEDED to read the books to to find out the whole drama or rather saga behind this Twilight phenomenon.  I read all three books within a week and even caught up with the previous two films, just in time for the fourth instalment.  And I loved it.  Don’t judge me.

The same goes with this Fifty Shades of Grey franchise.  I was intrigued by the hoopla around it.  But really, I loved the songs (or at least the ones released before the film screening) from the film soundtrack first.

LOVE

Fifty Shades of Grey Soundtrack

The soundtrack features some rather big names like Beyonce with her “Crazy In Love” done in a sexy, slower version and her song “Haunted”, there’s also my favourite Ellie Goulding with what I think is now an overplayed song – “Love Me Like You Do”.  Annie Lennox does a fantastically sultry version of “I Put A Spell On You”, like only Annie could, and then there’s also my other favourite singer, Sia with “Salted Wound”.  I honestly cannot understand what she’s singing, but I do love the music. These are just some of the names on the soundtrack, AWOLNATION also sings on this soundtrack with their rendition of “I’m On Fire” and of course, Skylar Grey with “I Know You”.

Fifty Shades of Grey – The Film

Now on to the film.  Like I said before, I haven’t read the book, so I can’t compare it with the book at all.  What I CAN say is that I didn’t mind it.  Dakota Johnson was actually really good as Anastasia, the naive, college girl who meets the rich and successful Christian Grey, played by Jamie Dornan.  He too played the perfect Mr. Grey – cold, unfeeling and yet you can see how much he’s struggling to not be that with Anastasia.  You can read more about the film and book over here on Nikki’s post.

There were a few things from the film that did make me scratch my head.  Ok, so beware for those who haven’t read the book or watched the film – spoilers ahead.  What made me a little bit confused was, how could a virgin give away her virginity so easily within a few days or maybe about a week of knowing someone?  Like seriously?  That’s why I have to read the book.  Maybe there was something I had missed from the film.  The sex scenes were pretty mild considering I have seen much raunchier sex scenes in foreign films.

For those who are concerned about issues surrounding domestic violence, I have to admit, I couldn’t see it at all.  As much as Ana was that naive girl who lets everyone walk all over her, she somehow does manage to get the upper hand in her relationship with Christian, except of course for the part that she truly wants from him, which made it really sad.  But I’ll leave it at that.  Sure there was BDSM in the film, but it was tastefully done and she wasn’t in anyway forced to do it.  She had a choice to leave and…well, I won’t say much more than that.

fifty shades of grey set

Images courtesy of Covet Lounge

The set was beautifully done and there were a lot of little things that showed Christian’s controlling character and extravagant lifestyle.  I would say that from someone who hasn’t read the books, the director, actors and everyone involved, did a really good job on the film.  I’ve given it my two thumbs up – maybe if you don’t want to spend too much moolah, go on a Tuesday to watch it  😉 .

LOATHE

Now on to the judgement bit of Fifty Shades of Grey – the whole franchise.  I am absolutely loathing the bystanders who are judging those of us who choose to read, watch and dare I say, enjoy this Fifty Shades of Grey…what can I call it?  Thing?  Like what Nikki said, sure it’s not some high brow literature but hello, some of us read to escape.  And I do love a good romance novel – you can simply look at my Goodreads profile to see the kind of “crap” I do read.  I love it and I’m not ashamed to admit it.  So stop judging people who don’t seem to like what you do.  To each his own I say, as long as they were not harming anyone right?  Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But, before you diss someone, check the thing out first.  Try finding out about the thing.  If you’re not interested in finding out, then stop judging others, seriously.  So ladies (or men?) who are curious to watch this film, or read the trilogy, I say go for it.  It’s your prerogative to find out what it’s about.  No need to feel embarrassed that a) you’re watching or reading it b) that you might actually enjoy it.

So, tell me, are you a fan of the franchise too?  Did you read the books?  Have you watched the film or intend to?  What about the soundtrack?  Love it?  Like it?  Or completely Loathe it?

Comments

comments

Written by

A mum of 3 who loves writing, sharing tips, tricks and discoveries that covers styling, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, health and so much more!

11 Comments
  • Ms Jelena says:

I’m yet to see the movie! Haven’t read the books, so I have no idea what to expect really. It’s dividing the masses, so I am very intrigued!
    Xx

• Norlin says:

Yeah, it definitely HAS divided the masses! I’ve avoided reading the books because I’ve heard that it’s badly written. But now that I’ve seen the movie I need to read just to compare the difference.

• I haven’t read 50 Shades and I don’t think I will go to the movies to see it – adult date nights to the movies are few and far between so we try to wait until it’s something we really want to see. The soundtrack looks good though!

• Norlin says:

Hahaha…oh I get what you mean Sarah. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and I agree, it’s best to always be picky when date nights are few and far between. 🙂

• I read all 3 books when it came out haha I didn’t mind the books, although some ppl did say it was badly written but I don’t notice those things. I haven’t seen the movie yet, possibly in a couple of weeks time.

• Kathryn S says:

Hi Norlin

I have read the book, and won’t be going to see the movie, I just didn’t like the book. I didn’t think ti was domestic violence at all, just not my cup of tea. I don’t think the movie will convey the same story, without more
    ‘saucy scenes’ lol. Each to their own though, some of my friends loved the book and thought it was really sexy!
    Kathryn x

• Norlin says:

Hi Kathryn,

Glad to hear from someone who had read the book but didn’t enjoy it and that you didn’t find that it had anything to do with domestic violence at all. I’m about to read the trilogy to compare if there were any differences at all between the first book and the film. But first, I have to finish reading one of my favourite authors – Liane Moriarty! – Big Little Lies.

• […] that I’ve shared my Love, Like & Loathe list last week, I thought I’d share my list of favourites this week.  On this week’s list, I’ve […]

• sarah says:

Nice review. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I just wanted to say I think the domestic violence people are talking about is more about the controlling, isolation behaviours. Not violence as such, more emotional abuse. But I have to say I haven’t read the book, I’m a big twilight fan and 50 shades of grey started out as a fanfiction of twilight called “Master of the Universe”. I read other twilight fan fiction but I didn’t read this one because the BDSM stuff isn’t my cup of tea (not judging if it is yours!). In twilight I find some of Edwards behaviours very frustrating – trying to keep Bella from Jake for example – is very controlling and really bugged me (I understood he was trying to keep her safe but still). from what I have heard from other people the guy character in 50 shades of grey is like Edwards controlling but on steroids.

• Norlin says:

Oooh! I am so glad to find someone who is another fan for fanfic! 🙂 I am one too! I’ve read a few other Twilight fanfics and can I just say…I’m still wondering how the hell the book 50 Shades of Grey even became a bestselling book. I’m not talking about the content but the writing. OMG what kind of sh*t was that? I tried. I got the ebook, read like 4 chapters in (struggled to get to there honestly) and could not bloody finished it!! I think the film didn’t show much of the isolation, controlling behaviours possibly as much as the book? (could not finish the book so I didn’t get to that part – yet). So that’s why I couldn’t find that “domestic violence” part when I went and saw the film. Honestly, I think the characters played by the to two actors in the film had more of a personality than the ones in the book. And yes, I do agree that controlling nature of Edward’s – really frustrating and annoying. But I do love how Bella (in other fanfics as well) dared to push him and make her own mind.