Q & A: Fascinator For Weddings

I had this question come through via my Facebook Page from a new follower of mine, Tine from Beautyholics Anonymous.

Here’s her question:

Help! I have a wedding to attend this Saturday, and I’m contemplating wearing a fascinator. Now I have never worn one before (the only time I’ve ever worn anything other than hair ties on my hair was at my wedding!), so I’m a big n00b at this. I need something easy to wear, preferably a headband (no fiddly pins and all that, and definitely nothing I have to tie my hair for).

Will be wearing a royal blue shortsleeved cocktail dress, black and gold envelope clutch and nude heels.

Help a sister out? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Well my dear Tine, you’re in luck because a)you’re NOT a NOOB b)fascinators have become quite the “in” thing ever since the wedding of Will & Kate last year! We saw a lot of guests wearing fascinators, in well, a myriad of designs. And how can we forget Princess Beatrice’s fascinator hey?

Source: thefrisky.com

Don’t worry, I’m not going to suggest something massive or super freaky like that contraption. Especially for a first-timer. Instead, I’ve picked out a few that are simple, tasteful yet still unique in their own way. I loved that you asked for one that comes on a headband because yes, having clips, and hair combs can be a bit finicky to handle and you don’t want to be worrying all day if your fascinator is still sitting where it should be. So here are some suggestions:

Fascinators for Weddings

Basically, I’ve chosen a few floral fascinators in royal blue and even black seeing that you’ll be carrying a black clutch. Ribbon fascinators are also easy to carry out without standing out like a sore thumb. I especially love the one with the red trim up at the top there. It gives you a bit more colour instead of the usual plain one colour designs. Other colours you could pick out as well are dark grey, gunmetal grey and even red if you’re daring enough to go that route. You can also try to match the colour of your fascinator to your nude heels with one in cream or taupe.

And how can you wear the fascinator? There are so many ways you can do your hair with a headband style fascinator. Leaving your hair down is one option or having them in loose curls would create a nice soft effect. If you’re game you can have your hair in a low bun at the back, or even side swept in loose curls. Either way, you’ll look elegant and very put-together with a simple fascinator.

Hope that solves your dilemma Tine and I can’t wait to see what you’ve picked out!

Comments

comments

Written by

A mum of 3 who loves writing, sharing tips, tricks and discoveries that covers styling, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, health and so much more!

19 Comments
  • LisaW says:

You had me at fascinator! I actually like Bea’s fascinator, but thought the style of her outfit didn’t suit it…certainly was a brave choice. You’ve got some great examples there. Have fun at the wedding Tine!

• baublesb says:

I thought Beatrice’s fascinator was unusual and she definitely was daring to wear it! I hope one day I’ll get to wear a fascinator myself! Hoping to go to the races maybe next year. ๐Ÿ™‚

• I’m not a stranger to having flowers or lace in my hair, the lolitas do it all the time and I think it’s absolutely gorgeous! Fascinators are such pretty things and they really do herald Spring. Love.

• baublesb says:

They are such lovely things aren’t they! I can’t wait to see which one Tine ends up picking to go with her outfit and how it all looks! Good on Tine for wanting to try something different I say. Now…if only I had a chance to go to the races or a wedding!

• Melissa says:

I don’t hate this! I usually hate fascinators. But I love some of the headband ones. I Adore the first one on the girl with the strappy top. And I love the simple metal headband with the blue flowers? Am I too old for these? Could you wear that first one I was talking about to somewhere NOT formal?

• baublesb says:

Same here! I think I feel more comfortable with a headband style fascinator. Which also means YES! You can wear the first one to somewhere less formal Melissa. It’s like a normal headband and great to wear when you’re out to a picnic or something.

• I’d go with the headband ones. I like those. but I haven’t worn one. yet.

• emmabovary says:

I love the easy headband style ones, I quite like wearing things atop my head actually. I have a few fascinators from years gone by and love a chance to wear them again. I have my fingers crossed Tine will share a photo of her choice with us all!

• I have a close friend who does handmade fascinators….I have a few..but I want more!!!!!

• Thanks so much for the recommendation Norlin! I managed to get a blue one (had to be a headband, can’t do the fiddly-pin ones), and I can’t wait to wear it this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

• Great post, Norlin! I think dark blues and red is a perfect combo! That blue and red headband reminds me of something Blair Waldorf wore in the 1st season of Gossip Girl. xo

• baublesb says:

I love dark blue and red together Evelyn. I think it makes both colours stand out but in a very classic way. Now I’m wishing I’m going to the races or something just so I can wear a fascinator!

• […] Norlin and LeGeeque helped me to choose the perfect fascinator to go with my dress. Nothing too big or flashy as it was my first time. I ended up getting one from Fashion Addict. It was affordable (certainly cheaper than if I were to make one myself) and looked better in real life than it did in pictures. […]