Jewellery Storage Solutions Part I

You would think that someone like me who a) sells jewellery and b) owns quite a bit of jewellery, would have the perfect jewellery storage solution right? Wrong. I don’t. Well, I thought I did, until I realised, the so-called solution I currently have isn’t exactly the ideal way to store some of the pieces I own. Namely my necklaces. I’ve used the Skubb Box with compartments that I bought from Ikea awhile back.

Ikea Skubb Box with compartments

Sure the different compartments let me separate my jewellery according to type: rings, bangles, bracelets, necklaces, etc. BUT, the thing that frustrates me is the fact that I can’t really see what necklaces I do have stored in there, and that they usually get tangled up when I try to get them out.

So I’ve scoured the online world to find some solutions:

Fashion Mode Styling Outfit DIY

I do like this idea of using these rings to hang my necklaces. That way, can I actually see what I’ve got and they don’t get tangled up with each other. But, the other problem would be, where to hang the hooks.

rake jewellery holder

Another cute idea that is not only workable and practical, but looks adorable! If you can’t tell what it really is, it’s actually a rake! I think this makes a really nice shabby chic idea.

A really cheap idea and I love how you can line the base of a cutlery tray with any contact pattern you like. But once again, there is the problem of where to hang this contraption.

Finally, I thought this was such an ingenious idea!!

belt hanger

Source: hsw.com.au

This is originally a hanger that you can use to hang scarves and belts, but…I’m thinking I could also use this to hang my necklaces and then hang this in my wardrobe!

So, with these few ideas in mind, I am now all set to find the perfect solution to store my jewellery while still keeping my room free of clutter and looking spiffy. Any other suggestions?

Comments

comments

Written by

A mum of 3 who loves writing, sharing tips, tricks and discoveries that covers styling, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, health and so much more!

7 Comments
  • Tine says:

Oh I hear ya Norlin. I have the same problem as well. I love to see gorgeous costume jewellery on display as shown in your pictures, but I’m always worried that when you do leave costume jewellery out in the open like that, they tarnish much quicker. And it’s such a turn off looking at grotty brown oxidised metal.

For me, I use a jewellery hanger. You know the ones with pockets? I go one step further and put each accessory in a ziplock bag first, and then put them in the pockets. Doesn’t look very good, there’s one extra step to do, but at least I protect the pieces from tarnishing easily.

Another way to store jewellery is in tackle boxes. I have heaps of those from Kmart and Bunnings for my beads and jewellery-making supplies, but they are great for storing individual necklaces. Plastic pill containers from Daiso can be used for small earrings 🙂

• baublesb says:

Yes! I’ve seen those tackle boxes! I’ve got some that I bought previously to store my haberdashery. I might use that for my rings, and I agree with you on the jewellery being tarnished. That’s one issue that people don’t normally think about. That’s why my silver jewellery are in boxes, and stored together, away from the fashion jewellery too.

• LisaW says:

Mine are currently in a ball on my bedside table, so don’t ask me! lol. I have bought metal hook thing for them, but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet.

• baublesb says:

I would love to see the metal hook thing you got for them once you’ve gotten them installed. I’m playing around with a few ideas that I saw on Mamamia today too!

• Jeanie says:

I started a Pin Board for this very reason – finding creative ways to store jewellery.

I like your last idea, but does that mean you have to undo your necklace each time you select it. I usually select a few and work out which suits the outfit best. Undoing (& redoing) each would be a pain. Something like the rack where you can just lift them off easily would be best.

Good Luck!!

• baublesb says:

Oh! I have to check out your pinterest board!! I think you would need to undo the necklace to hang it onto the hanger. I’ve got an idea how and where I’ll be storing some of my necklaces now, I just need to find the time to head down to the shops and Ikea to get what I need. Stay tuned! 🙂

• […] my problem with storing my jewellery previously? I’ve pinned a few ideas on my Pinterest “Ideas” board to wrap my head […]