MBFWA Overrun By Bloggers?

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week (MBFWA) indeed was overrun by fashion bloggers this year, as Andrew Hornery from SMH observed. But, really, was that such a bad thing? In his “Private Sydney” column in the Sydney Morning Herald, Andrew shares that most of the fashion bloggers present were former models, stylists, frustrated designers or plain old wannabes and with only one or two bloggers who had any journalistic credentials. He even goes on to say that we were more interested in interviewing and photographing each other than what’s on the catwalk.

While it might be true that only a handful of us have come from backgrounds of journalism and communication, I believe that it doesn’t necessarily make us less credible. Sure, the people from traditional media probably know how to word their reports better, but does that make them an expert in fashion? Do their opinions hold more clout than that of a blogger? Here’s the thing with bloggers, while most do not come from journalistic backgrounds, what we do have is – PASSION. We do it because we love it not because we HAVE to. We are our own publishers, PR, writers, editors and in most cases even photographers. For those that do get sponsored by brands to cover the shows, they work bloody hard to get them and it’s about time we get recognised for all the work we do. Our passion and dedication are highlighted by sacrifices we make; using our day jobs to fund the trip and expenses and using up our holiday or leave days to attend the event. We work non-stop and in most cases, round the clock.

Fashion week is filled with people from all walks of life and manner of dressing. It is an exciting time filled with eccentric characters and interesting fashion. If it’s the norm for photographers who represent traditional media to snap fashion worn by the attendees, then what is the difference with us bloggers snapping photos of our own fellow bloggers? Let’s face it, fashion week isn’t just about the designers. It encompasses so much more than that. It is the people that attend who also makes the event a spectacular one. The colours, styles, and let’s not forget the personalities that go along with it.

I am not demeaning any work done by those in traditional media. I know they work hard too. But it irks me when someone from that background discredits bloggers just because we do things differently. So let’s not diminish the capacity of bloggers shall we? We represent the everyday people. We present our own point of view. We share what our readers want to know and not just what fashion designers and brands want to hear. While blogging might seem rather competitive to the outside world, what we do learn is to work together and help each other out any way we can. We call this a building relationships, something I think some people from traditional media might like to work on.

Comments

comments

Written by

A mum of 3 who loves writing, sharing tips, tricks and discoveries that covers styling, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, health and so much more!

22 Comments
  • Melinda says:

Wow, some harsh words written there!

These days, bloggers opinions are just as important as those published in glossy mags or newspapers. I think blogging and social media open up a whole new world for brands to connect directly with their consumers and anyone who can’t see what a wonderful thing this can be is probably just jealous!

• baublesb says:

I thought the article was rather bitchy and unfair towards bloggers. I believe both journos and bloggers can learn a lot from each other and I’m clearly over the elitist stance that some journos have towards bloggers. The online world is a large enough for everyone to co-exist together. Sadly, some journos just have to learn to live with that.

• Geez! Insecure much? I reckon bloggers have far more credibility these days than “traditional media”, which is probably so many from journalistic backgrounds are flocking to blogging. Real people identify much more with bloggers, than traditional glossy magazines.

• I loved his “frocks for comment anyone” remark. Because journalists never stay in hotels or resorts as part of reviewing a story! Perhaps he would like to disclose every time he is “gifted” a product?

• LisaW says:

Oh, he’s just jealous that he didn’t get a limo, or a frock to wear! lol. Great post Norlin. Bloggers are fast becoming the authorative voice in media. The every day person has just as much to say as a professional journalist. Let’s keep it real and blog on!

• Rina says:

Its a big pond people – there is plenty of room for everyone to swim. Bloggers need to respect journos and vice versa.

• baublesb says:

Yep, I totally agree with you. I don’t see why there should be a competition between journos and bloggers, especially when we have never considered ourselves journalists, just social commentators.

• I would believe a blogger’s word and advice over a traditional journo anytime. I just like ‘real’ opinions.

• baublesb says:

And it’s as if a journalist’s report isn’t going to be biased….as in biased towards whomever that’s paying for their story of course. 😉

• Tine says:

The Internet is a big playground. There’s room for everyone, from all different sorts of background and qualifications. Surely we can all play nicely and respectfully. We can learn from journos, and they can surely also learn from bloggers.

• baublesb says:

I guess there’s this elitist mentality that because some bloggers don’t come from academic backgrounds that would make us seem less credible.

• Don’t you worry darling! Just do what you do and do it the best way you can. Some of journos are just jealous of us! and some of the big bloggers fame. I don;t think we can be put into one basket- journalists and bloggers aren’t the same and never will be.

However, if some bloggers thing its some kind of achievement to have a degree (or diploma) in journalism, well cudos to them!

• baublesb says:

The thing I really don’t get is why we’re being “attacked” with the “journalistic” background bit, when we have never considered ourselves to be journos really.

• sorry for my awful grammar – its almost 4am!!! lol

• Rin says:

Well said! I read that article a few days ago and thought, wow, someone’s suffering PMS pretty bad here! Even worse that he was a guy… feeling bitter, no doubt, about the threat to his job. I prefer reading something that hasn’t been commissioned. He obviously had to write an article to pay for next weeks living expenses, whereas a blogger does it because they WANT to.

• I love your blog especially because your from Melbourne the same as me, if you could would you take some time to look at my new beauty blog I would be so happy

• Melissa says:

I hadn’t seen his article. But I agree with you. It’s time those in traditional media embraced new media. It’s not going anywhere. It’s only gaining momentum and more and more are getting their advice from new media and bloggers than ever before.

• Henry says:

i work in the industry and 9 out of 10 bloggers that attend fashion weeks have no model background whatsoever…

most of them are just law students who think they know fashion when infact they all post the same jibberish.. “this is what i’m wearing today” nowhere do they post on their blogs the actual show or any of the garments… all they post is their faces… their own clothes and merely tag designers, this is quite insulting especially to real media like myself who’ve spent years working in this industry only to be undermined by some uni-student who knows nothing about the industry but happens to “Dress well”

• baublesb says:

Actually Henry, you might be right there. I do agree that some are there just to be “noticed”, know nothing about fashion, and don’t even report on what’s being showcased. But, my question to you is, does someone who work in “real media” know anything about fashion? Do they all come from a fashion background, or do they pick it up through the experience gained while being on the job? In my case, I’m there to see what the designers have to offer as well as what everyone else who attends is wearing. I honestly don’t care if the bloggers are not models and even if they were, doesn’t make them an expert on fashion either. I guess the difference with “traditional media” and new media is that with new media we can be a bit more personalised and share what we believe our readers would want to read.